Monday 10 March 2014

Play a card game, loot a tomb?

While I was in Oxford this weekend I spent some time relaxing in the wonderful Thirsty Meeples board game cafe. While browsing through their shelves I came across an archaeology-related card game. 'Excellent!' I thought. Then I read the back of the box and my heart sank. 

archaeology game egypt bad

Digging up pyramids to hunt for stashes of treasure? Trading your finds at the marketplace? Picking the right moment to sell your finds to the museum for maximum profit? In fact, after this description the 'cunning thieves' lurking around the dig site would actually appear to be better called 'other archaeologists!'

Is this really the way archaeology is still seen by some people? I certainly hope not.  Needless to say the game went back on the shelf unplayed...


No comments:

Post a Comment